Friday, April 8, 2011

It's Clicking!

As a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and currently serving as the advisor to the Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) at the University of the Pacific here in California, I understand that culturally based fraternities and sororities have very unique needs. I have been given the specific task of assisting with the National Cultural Greek Leadership Conference (NCGLC) and ensuring that all of our culturally based members are getting the tools that they need to best navigate their conference experience.

As the first day of the WFL/NCGLC educational sessions get underway, it's amazing to see that the information being shared is starting to click! As a Graduate Intern for the Association of Fraternal Leadership & Values (AFLV), I am truly enjoying all the conversations that I'm having with all of the many students in attendance at the conference.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of assisting presenter Sam Centellas of OutSight Consulting during his presentation, "Quality over Quantity: The Worlds Greatest Excuse." I loved watching him work his magic as he engaged the students in an honest dialogue about intake/recruitment practices. While droppin' some knowledge, the students were challenged to think outside the box and turn the intake/recruitment process into one that is less scary for potential members. Many of the students stayed after to get some extra tips on how they can bring his tips back to their campuses.

I can't wait to see more light bulbs go off as WFL/NCGLC continues. I remember attending this conference as an undergrad (way back in 2008), and really getting inspired to make a change on my campus. I was able to identify a speaker to bring back to campus, made connections with other chapters going through circumstances, and most importantly I was inspired to become a Greek Advisor myself.

If you do nothing else at this conference, make sure that you are taking the time to really self-reflect on what you can do to strengthen your leadership skills and discover what it means to live your values!
See you around!

Shante Hearst is a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and a Graduate Student at the University of the Pacific. She is serving as a Graduate Intern for the West Fraternal Leadership Conference and the National Cultural Greek Leadership Conference.

No comments: