Monday, July 16, 2012

I Can See Clearly Now

By Diana Soria- Texas State University- Sigma Delta Lambda

-->
Coming into a house full of strangers, I didn’t know what to expect but I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. I have made such deep connections with my colleagues and it’s only been day two!  I came to AFLV Leadershape thinking that I already knew what it takes to be a leader but today’s curriculum has shown me otherwise. First of all, I really appreciate that the facilitators make us feel comfortable with each other to discuss issues that can be a sensitive subject for some people. They allow us to share our stories so that others can take something valuable from it and vice versa. Secondly, the discussions that we had today were very stimulating. It has really pushed me to think outside of my comfort zone and that’s okay with me. I needed an experience like to help me shape my potential abilities so that I can be an effective leader. You see, I learned today that in order to be an effective leader I must be willing to go out of my comfort zone. After all, how can I lead with a vision and work towards a greater good of my council if my vision is blurry? Because of this institute, I feel a new sense of ambition to do great things on my campus this upcoming school year. I look forward to tomorrow as well as the rest of the week. This has truly been an interesting, fun experience. I highly recommend any leader in Greek life or not, to take advantage of participating in an AFLV Leadershape Institute. It is a fun, eye opening experience that you will never regret!

No comments: