Sunday, July 15, 2012

My First Day at AFLV LeaderShape

By: Brandy Flatley, Elmhurst College, Phi Mu

Going into this amazing opportunity I had no idea what to expect, I have never been to a leadership conference that was involved with my love for Greek Life as well! I was nervous just as much as excited to embark on this new adventure, but right when I walked in my nerves went away when I met the facilitators, and volunteers. They were so welcoming, and made me feel at home. I was somewhat expecting the typical ice breakers and leadership activities, but AFLV LeaderShape was much different than what I thought I was walking in to. We jumped right in on the definition of leadership and what core values a leader was to have, some that I have never even thought of before. One thing that I learned today that really stuck with me was how important relationships are when becoming a leader. Everyone has friends and family, but these types of relationships are so much more than I realized. I learned how important it was to build trust in a relationship because without trust, no one will try to follow your lead and have faith in your advice. We talked about using the people in your life to help you become the best leader you can be. I would not personally be here without Liz Doyle, who is our Greek Advisor at Elmhurst College, who is also here with us. She really has pushed me to become the leader she knew I can be and has given me the opportunity to be here, and thanks to that one relationship, I am growing as a leader so much within just 6 days while being here. So do not take advantage of any of your relationships, because they will help you grow to be the leader you are meant to be! I am so pumped up and excited to see what tomorrow and the rest of the week have to offer!

No comments: