Saturday, December 31, 2011

First Steps on the Journey

Hello my fellow Greeks, family, and friends!
When I decided to participate in this trip, I didn’t know what to expect. As I traveled here today I kept thinking about my daily life and how making the decision to immerse myself in service is just the same as the decision I made three years ago when I became a member of Greek Life. I was completely uncomfortable today because I didn’t know anyone or what to expect, but when the group joined and began talking about our values and how they impact our daily lives, instantly it was as if we had known each other for some time. This is the last night in the year of 2011, as I look back I truly have gained an understanding and ability to apply service in my leadership. Going Greek was a conscious decision to publicly vow my life to service, an added responsibility that I would always put others before myself. Although this week will be the opportunity to learn about a different culture in the midst of serving, it is a reminder that I truly am a servant of all, first of all, transcending all.
Frederick Leon Cox III is a Senior at the University of Dayton and a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

No comments: