Sunday, January 1, 2012

Geography and History

Since I know my family is anxiously waiting back home to hear what I’m up to in El Salvador, I thought I’d give a little update and start with a quick geography lesson for my little brothers and sisters (get out your maps, mom and dad!) El Salvador is located in between Guatemala and Honduras and is also bordered by the Pacific Ocean, although the capitol city of San Salvador where are staying is landlocked. It is very hot here and the terrain is beautiful. El Salvador is known as the Land of Volcanoes and today already we got to see an active volcano! The population of El Salvador is about six million compared to the U.S.’s approximate 310 million and the size of El Salvador is roughly comparable to the size of the state of Massachusetts.
From snowy Minnesota to sunny El Salvador, my flight into the country went without a hitch and I was one of the few people on the plane who spoke English, making for an interesting flight as I attempted to brush up on my Spanish-speaking skills with my two seatmates who were returning to the country. As we landed, everyone on the plane began clapping and cheering, something that I have not yet experienced on a flight, so I was needless to say very excited to experience this country that was so well loved by its people.

Yesterday we spent the day seeing some of the sites in the country; we hiked up a mountain and did some shopping at a local market before settling in at la Casa Voluntariado. Today, we learned more about the history of El Salvador and the terrible civil war that the country went through up until 1992. We attended mass at the parish near wear Fr. Rutilo Grande was killed. Later in the day, we had a blast bringing our donated craft supplies and games to an orphanage and playing with the children there!

It has been an exciting and eye-opening trip so far and I cannot wait to see what is in store! Missing my hot showers back home but appreciating my mosquito-net covered bunk bed! ;-)

Christina Miller is a senior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and is a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority.

No comments: